Take up Berta's struggle!
Lend your name to continue Berta Cáceres’ struggle to protect the Gualcarque River and indigenous territories in Honduras from megaprojects like the Agua Zarca hydroelectric dam.
When you take action, you will be joining an international mobilization to demand:
- An end to the Agua Zarca hydroelectric dam project, and demand respect for Indigenous Peoples’ rights to Free, Prior, and Informed Consent.
- Protections for the members of the Civic Council of Grassroots Indigenous Organizations of Honduras (COPINH), who continue the struggle and are still facing harsh repression and violence for defending their territory against the Agua Zarca dam.
- An independent, impartial, and transparent investigation by the Inter American Commission of Human Rights into Berta’s assassination.
- An end to US military aid to Honduras, including an end to US training and funding for the specialized “Tigres” military forces that have defended the private interests behind the Agua Zarca dam and an end to all USAID funding and support for Agua Zarca.
- The immediate withdrawal of all funding of Agua Zarca and other projects threatening Lenca and indigenous territories in Honduras.
We can't stress enough just how high the stakes are in Honduras and how much we need you to lend your voice to this struggle. By taking part in this single action, you will send powerful, coordinated, strategic messages to Honduran officials, to the US government and to the international financiers who are all complicit to the violence, repression, criminalization and violation of human rights in Honduras.
The English version of the first letter appears at the bottom of the page.
If you live outside of the US, please click here to take action.